Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Image M1303 A Skirt that Works

Allow me to present the finished M1303- the My Image skirt, and my first ever MI project:


Here is another peek at the model photo and tech drawing:


And here I am in my new skirt which I will wear to work tomorrow.  After all the second guessing, and fitting issues, I've decided I quite like this.  There is something really fun about those big 'ole pockets.


The back, of course, is pretty standard.  Not much to write about there.


The side view isn't anything special either.


I think part of the reason that I like this, and a big part of why I didn't toss it in the trash when I tried it on the first time, is that the pattern itself is so unique and interesting.  Here is a shot of the pattern diagram in the magazine.  You can see how the skirt front is cut all in one piece:


Once the skirt is cut, all you have to do is fold, sew along the bottom of the pocket bag, clip one little place (where the upper pocket opening edge is attached to the side seam) and then sew up your sides.  Once you figure out how the pocket folds, it's really much faster and easier than sewing a traditional pocket.

Here is a look at the inside of the skirt:


I used a hot pink stretch poly crepe for this.  At first I was afraid it had a little too much body and made the pockets stand out too much, but I've since changed my mind.  The stretch makes the skirt quite comfortable, but I was afraid that throughout the day it might grow and start to sag, so I used a quilting cotton for my waist facings to help the waist hold it's shape.  The cotton was also less bulky and helped me get a smoother seam finish.

Here is the side seam before I serged it.  You can see where I clipped into the fabric right at that point where the upper pocket edge meets the side seam:


Here it is with the pocket lifted up (with the making thread still in the fabric:)


You can also see where I took the side in- twice above the clipped point, and once below.

If I were to make this again, I would start with a smaller size.  This skirt began as a straight 46 (MI offers it in sizes 36 through 46) and it was way too big.  I used the measurement chart provided in the magazine to chose the 46.  I'm not sure if maybe MI patterns run a little bit big, or if it is just the unusual nature of this skirt which causes it to finish up a bit on the large side.  I suppose I'll have to make another MI pattern to check!


In the end, I took in the waist approximately 2.5" total with all the adjustments I made.  I took in the lower part of the skirt about 1" over all below the clipped point.

I added 1.25" to the bottom of the pattern pieces for a hem allowance, but I ended up turning up just 3/4."  So I effectively added 1/2" of length to the skirt.  I like where the hem hits- mid knee.


Yes, I'm going to wear this to work tomorrow and see how it performs.  I'm thinking it will do just fine.

In other sewing news, I finally got around to putting new sleeves on BS 04-2013-119.  The sleeves fit now, but the blouse has other issues, including some neckline problems and issues with the back darts.  I'll be fiddling with it a little more before I share it.

I also have another project that I've been quietly working on, which I hope to share soon.  It features flamingos!  I love me some flamingo fabric!

How about you?  How is your spring/summer sewing going?

3 comments:

bibi said...

I am beginning to think I need to begin sewing for myself again! Your garments are an inspiration. Beautiful sewing on a real girl!

Kimberly said...

So cool. I'll have to try it.

Lynneb said...

I bought that magazine! I loved so many of the projects. Great skirt.
Did you like anything else from that issue?